Modern GIS & Spatial SQL Gear
Grab some modern GIS and spatial SQL gear!
Modern GIS Tech Stack
On any given day I use a random mix of tools for different GIS tasks. Most of my time is spent in CARTO and any given cloud data warehouse such as Google BigQuery, Amazon Redshift, or Snowflake, but I also use PostGIS locally or in the cloud.
For data engineering most times I start out with GDAL on the command line or Python in a Jupyter notebook. For analytics and data science I try and start with SQL. If that doesn’t work I use Python where I use PySAL for spatial data science..
When building apps I love React/Redux and CARTO for React which uses DeckGL. I use QGIS for a myriad of tasks and have been using H3, XGBoost, Airbyte, OSMnx, Apache Sedona/Spark, and more for other tasks.
When I started making YouTube videos my goal was to bootstrap it as much as I can. Here is how I did it:
- LYWYGG Vinyl Wood Backdrop: There are several options but they look amazing in video and on calls. Just give them a quick iron after shipping – $27
- MAONO USB Lavalier Microphone: Simple USB Lavalier which works for videos, calls, webinars, podcasts and provides really great sounds for cheap – $23
- Lightning to USB Adapter: To plug the microphone into my iPhone – $9
- Kaiess 10.2 in. Ring Light with 65 in. Adjustable Tripod: Ring light to add a bit of lighting – $30
- Torjim 64 in. Phone Tripod: Lightweight tripod with plenty of height and a phone mount and remote – $22
I already had:
- MacBook Pro: I already use this for my day to day
- iPhone 14 Pro: Great camera but you can use any phone camera